AP Course Application (and Pre-Calc/Calc)
Prepare for college! Challenge yourself! Apply Now! Deadline: March 24, 2019
Spring Parent-Teacher Conferences
Spring 2019 Parent-Teacher Conferences Take Place:
Thursday, March 21, 2019 - 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm
Friday, March 22, 2019 - 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm
- ATTENTION ALL STUDENTS! Have you registered for your AP classes yet? If not, this is for you! All students in grades 9-12 can fill out the application. Go to aviationhs.net and click on the AP link, then fill out the form for your grade. Get a jump on taking advanced classes and register for AP now! The deadline to register is Sunday night, March 24th.
- ENVIRONMENTAL CLUB and UNICEF are collecting plastic bags to recycle them. Anyone who has extra plastic bags at home that you don’t please deposit it in the box at the main office. We encourage people to not obtain their bags from the store, just the extra ones that you already have!
- Tomorrow, March 21st, Journalism will be hosting a STORY CORP event in the auditorium. Come, relax and enjoy our stories!
- HOOP IT UP, a 3 point shooting basketball tournament will take place this Friday after 9th period in the gym right before the parent teacher conference. It’s $1 at the door to play.
- PEGASUS is hosting a competition on March 29th that not only tests one’s hand skills but also their knowledge in shop. The competition is open to sophomores, juniors and seniors with a group of three or four. Tickets will be sold for $5.00 each by Mr. Restrepo and Nicole Jara. Be sure to sign up!
- 61 DAYS TILL QUALIFYING! Be sure to study!!
- 2019 NBCFAE – New York Chapter Spring Break ACE Camp will take place from April 23rd to April 25th, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. The NBCFAE-Aviation Career Education (ACE) Camp is a 3 day STEM-based educational experience with field trips and hands-on activities for students Grades 9-12 as an introduction to the exciting field of aviation.
TUES 4/23/19 – Cradle of Aviation – Garden City
WED 4/24/19 – Delta Airlines at Hangar 19 and AARF – JFK Airport
THU 4/25/19 – American Airlines Hangar 10 – JFK Airport
The Cost is $25.00 per student. For more information contact Ms. Aiello in room 147.
- ATTENTION SENIORS - Don’t forget to send in pictures for yearbook to Heily, senior page, Jannatul, or Jair!
- Seniors hoodies and long sleeve t shirts are in come to the teachers’ cafeteria during 4th period. Windbreakers will come in on Monday.
- SKILLSUSA MEETING tomorrow, 0 period! Mandatory for all members. SkillsUSA regional competition on March 30th, 2019 at Lincoln Tech. Members must come during 0 period tomorrow to get a permission slip. Spectators are welcome.
- The JFK RUN is on April 14, 2019. Register on the Aviation HS website. IF you are interested in volunteering, see SkillsUSA officers Urmi Golder, Raaed Zaman, Jara Apointe, Yoselin Onofre or Mr. Dookie for more information.
- This Friday, Aviation’s VARSITY BASKETBALL TEAM will play their first league game against Richmond Hill high School at Victory Field near Forest Park at 4:30. Come and show support ⚾️💖💖
- There will be an HONOR SOCIETY meeting today in room 137 after 9th and 10th
- The BOYS VOLLEYBALL team will have a scrimmage today against Cardozo high school. The game will start after 10th period so come and support the team
- GOLF meeting today after 10th period in the auditorium. New members are welcome.
- Any FRESHMEN and SOPHOMORES that remediated a 9th year exam this past Saturday. Please see Mr. Persad U in room 115 periods 2 and 3 for your receipt.
- There will be zero period CHEMISTRY LAB on Friday, March 22nd
- We’re going to be having an EARTH DAY DOOR DECORATING CONTEST! Rules will be given out later. Listen for further announcements.
- IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO BE PART OF A CLUB! There’s a poster outside of the guidance office or you can go to room 147 for information about when and where the clubs meet as well as information about the advisors.
- SKILLS USA APPLICATION: https://sites.google.com/view/skillsusaavhs
- All students should follow the INSTAGRAM PAGE @av_activites for more information on upcoming events and activities.
Woman's History Month 2019!
Our 5th Year JFK International Airport Annex "Rosie the Riveters"!:) Women's History Month 2019!
85th Anniversary Color Guard Banquet
1st Annual Career Fair - May 16, 2019!
AOPA Flight Training Scholarship Info!
AOPA HIGH SCHOOL FLIGHT TRAINING SCHOLARSHIP
From the AOPA website:
Thanks to the generosity of the Ray Foundation, 80 exceptional high school students, ages 15 to 18, each will receive a $10,000 scholarship in 2019. This scholarship program is a component of the AOPA You Can Fly program, a collection of initiatives working towards building a larger, more vibrant pilot community.
These scholarship awards are a major benefit of AOPA membership, helping members reach their goals and advance into the aviation and aerospace careers they have always dreamed about.
Scholarship recipients will be able to use the money for direct flight training expenses to pursue a primary pilot certificate. They must also complete a flight training milestone, achieving either solo or earning a primary pilot certificate, within one year of receiving a scholarship.
Applications close at 11:59 p.m., EDT on April 2, 2019. Apply here.
Cirrus Aircraft Visits Aviation High School!
2018 Silver Ranking by US News & World Report
CNN's "Great Big Story" on Aviation HS!
CNBC October 2018 Video on Aviation HS
The Benefits of Trade Schools
4th Marking Period Report Cards DisdtributedAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Parent Teacher Conferences 6:00 PM-8:30PMAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Town Town Hall School Safety Meeting at 1:00 PM in Room 140.Aviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Parent Teacher Conferences 12:30 PM - 3:00 PMAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Saturday SchoolAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
NYPD's Aviation High School Toolbox Award
NY1 Story: Annex Students Visit LaGuardia Airport
Students from our 5th Year Annex program visit LaGuardia Airport on Thursday, March 9, 2017! Watch the NY1 report on the visit!
Guidance | See your School Counselor Below:
Office Suite 135
Phone >> 718-361-2032 Ext. 1351
9th Grade: Ms. Diaz
10th Grade: Ms. Donohue
11th Grade: Ms. Gutierrez
12th Grade: Ms. Ojong
SWD all Grades: Ms. Alba
CNBC Story Features Aviation Graduates
Freshmen are scheduled for one of two sessions for the remainder of the year:
- Periods 1-9 (8:00 am - 3:27 pm)
- Periods 2–10 (8:59 am - 4:15 pm)
- Plus 45 minutes once a week for science lab
Important Dates for Parents
Our School Community!
Aviation HS Students Compete at National Event! (2018)
Employment Opportunities for Students/Graduates
We have employment opportunities with Pratt & Whitney
The Starting hourly rate is $ 31.70
Please submit your resumes to Mr. Cotumaccio in Room 113
*Power Plant Certification a must*
Aviation HS Sports Calendar
Donate to Quantum Samurai
Aviation High School Attracts Global Interest!
American Airlines Celebrates Aviation High School Grad!
FAA Aircraft Handbooks and Manuals
use the link below to access useful Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) aircraft handbooks and manuals for your aviation maintenance courses.
NPR Profiles Aviation High School's JFK Annex!
Deep Inside New York's JFK Airport, There's A High School
"New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport is among the busiest in the country: More than 1,000 flights touch down and take off each day. More than 50 million passengers hurry through its gates each year.
But something else is happening too.
Not far from the waxed floors of the terminals and the automated voice proclaiming the end of the moving walkway, there's a school. And a classroom that has six wheels, two wings, and a tail. It is a Boeing 727, parked on the tarmac near the hangars and warehouses..."
Read the rest of the article here!
Career Opportunities With Panasonic
Panasonic is looking for Airframe or Airframe and Powerplant technicians in the following locations:
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)
* Relocation is necessary* for more information please contact Mr. Eric Engel. Email: Eric.firstname.lastname@example.org
Free Aviation Week Student Accounts!
Students! Use your Google Classroom email account to gain free access to Aviation Week and Space Technology! Click here!
Alumni in the News!
Alumnus, Jessica Duke, talks about her work experience at Pratt & Whitney. Click here (or the image) to read the interview!
"No student shall, on the basis of gender, race, color, national origin, disability, or age be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits, or otherwise be subject to unlawful discrimination under any Career and Technical Education program or activity."
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Name: Dr. Michael Koumoullos, Assistant Principal of Pupil Personnel Services
Address: 45-30 36th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101
Telephone Number: (718) 361-2032, extension 1351
Read the Department of Education's Non-Discrimination Policy Here.
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact email@example.com to request assistance.