Career Day 2019!
Dear Friends of Aviation High School,
On Wednesday, March 13th we will be holding our annual Career Day! Career Day is a rewarding experience for our students. It gives them the opportunity to learn about career opportunities and strategies for success. For registration and more information, please click here to be taken to our Career Day Site.
Wednesday March 13, 2019
8:45 am—1:30 pm
Parent Engagement Dates
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- On Monday, January 21st we celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
- Today is the final match for the AVIATION WRESTLING TEAM as they take on Queens Vocational today at 5:00 pm. Come and support Noah Torres and Mario Francis as they wrestle their final match at Aviation.
- There will be a Valentine’s Day dance called CUPID’S BALL on Friday, February 8th, open to everyone interested. Please go to room 147 for more information!
- SENIOR DUES can be paid online through the school store or in person in room 144. Fundraising is available. Speak with Ms. Aiello todays in room 145.
- FRESHMEN-SOPHOMORES-JUNIORS – It’s not too early to start looking at colleges. The earlier you start the better!
- The COLLEGE NOW APPLICATIONS for the Spring Semester 2019 are available. For those students interested in taking College Now classes in Math, English, Sociology and Global Politics, pick up an application in Ms. Hoosak’s office (room 428) or the College Office (room 230). Classes begin the week of January 29th right after Regents week and you must be at least a junior to apply for a College Now class. Completed applications must be returned ASAP but no later than January 18th. Come see us today!
- ATTENTION SENIORS – Please bring the hard copies of your baby pictures to Ms. Tavarez during periods 6 and 7 in room 145.
- Seniors who’ve ordered SENIOR APPAREL – they are due to arrive this week. Please listen for further announcements. If you’re still interested in placing an order, please come to room 147.
- MUSIC CLUB is hosting its second annual talent show!! Vocalists, dancers, instrumentalists, poets any kind of talent, here’s your chance to show case it! Auditions will be held starting Wednesday after 10th, see music club president Ahona Islam for try outs and more information.
- On January 17th, at 5:30 pm, Ms. DiGiorgio will be holding a FINANCIAL AID WORKSHOP for all students and parents. Be sure to attend.
- SENIORS and 5th YEAR STUDENTS – It is your responsibility to send your SAT/ACT scores to the colleges you are applying to. See Ms. DiGiorgio if you don’t know how to do it and she will explain it to you. However, you have to send them!
- ATTENTION SENIORS – please submit your senior quotes for the yearbook ASAP. There’s a link in the senior Instagram page (@aviationsen19rs) to submit your quote by January 18. If you have any further questions, see President Heily.
- The MOCK TRIAL will meet on Thursday only this week.
- PEGASUS meeting today in room 610 after 9th and 10th
- There will be an HONOR SOCIETY meeting tomorrow, Wednesday, after 9th and 10th periods in room 137 for an update on projects.
- There will be a DANCE CLUB meeting today after 10th period in room B42.
- COMPUTER CLUB will be meeting today after 10th period in the hangar.
- ENVIRONMENTAL CLUB will meet today after 9th
- Interested in DESIGNING VIDEO GAMES? Join the Game Development Club. Their meetings are Wednesdays and Fridays after 10th in room 530.
- IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO BE PART OF A CLUB! There’s a poster outside of the Guidance Office, or you can go to room 147 for information about the advisors and when and where the clubs meet.
- All students should follow the INSTAGRAM PAGE @av_activites for more information on upcoming events and activities.
Didn't Make it? Take a tour: Register below
A big Thank You to all the families that attended our open house!
We only have one open house. However, if you missed it you can still see our school.
Use the link below to reserve your spot, for one of our guided tours!
Please review the minimum requirements to be considered for our screened school here Admissions process 2018.pdf
2018 Silver Ranking by US News & World Report
CNN's "Great Big Story" on Aviation HS!
CNBC October 2018 Video on Aviation HS
The Benefits of Trade Schools
Free Aviation Week Student Accounts!
Students! Use your Google Classroom email account to gain free access to Aviation Week and Space Technology! Click here!
Science Midterm ExamAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Social Studies Midterm ExamAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Science Midterm ExamAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Math Midterm ExamAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
School Leadership Team MeetingAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
NYPD's Aviation High School Toolbox Award
NY1 Story: Annex Students Visit LaGuardia Airport
Students from our 5th Year Annex program visit LaGuardia Airport on Thursday, March 9, 2017! Watch the NY1 report on the visit!
Guidance | See your School Counselor Below:
Office Suite 135
Phone >> 718-361-2032 Ext. 1351
9th Grade: Ms. Diaz
10th Grade: Ms. Donohue
11th Grade: Ms. Gutierrez
12th Grade: Ms. Ojong
SWD all Grades: Ms. Alba
CNBC Story Features Aviation Graduates
Freshmen are scheduled for one of two sessions for the remainder of the year:
- Periods 1-9 (8:00 am - 3:27 pm)
- Periods 2–10 (8:59 am - 4:15 pm)
- Plus 45 minutes once a week for science lab
Our School Community!
Aviation HS Students Compete at National Event! (2018)
Employment Opportunities for Students/Graduates
We have employment opportunities with Pratt & Whitney
The Starting hourly rate is $ 31.70
Please submit your resumes to Mr. Cotumaccio in Room 113
*Power Plant Certification a must*
Aviation HS Sports Calendar
FAA Aircraft Handbooks and Manuals
use the link below to access useful Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) aircraft handbooks and manuals for your aviation maintenance courses.
NPR Profiles Aviation High School's JFK Annex!
Deep Inside New York's JFK Airport, There's A High School
"New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport is among the busiest in the country: More than 1,000 flights touch down and take off each day. More than 50 million passengers hurry through its gates each year.
But something else is happening too.
Not far from the waxed floors of the terminals and the automated voice proclaiming the end of the moving walkway, there's a school. And a classroom that has six wheels, two wings, and a tail. It is a Boeing 727, parked on the tarmac near the hangars and warehouses..."
Read the rest of the article here!
Donate to Quantum Samurai
Aviation High School Attracts Global Interest!
American Airlines Celebrates Aviation High School Grad!
Career Opportunities With Panasonic
Panasonic is looking for Airframe or Airframe and Powerplant technicians in the following locations:
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)
* Relocation is necessary* for more information please contact Mr. Eric Engel. Email: Eric.firstname.lastname@example.org
Alumni in the News!
Alumnus, Jessica Duke, talks about her work experience at Pratt & Whitney. Click here (or the image) to read the interview!
"No student shall, on the basis of gender, race, color, national origin, disability, or age be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits, or otherwise be subject to unlawful discrimination under any Career and Technical Education program or activity."
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Name: Dr. Michael Koumoullos, Assistant Principal of Pupil Personnel Services
Address: 45-30 36th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101
Telephone Number: (718) 361-2032, extension 1351
Read the Department of Education's Non-Discrimination Policy Here.
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact email@example.com to request assistance.