Cirrus Aircraft Visits Aviation High School!
Feb. 18-22 - Mid-Winter Recess
School is Closed from Monday, February 18 through Friday, February 22. Enjoy the Mid-Winter Recess!
- THIS WEEK IS RESPECT FOR ALL WEEK – GENDER IDENTITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, LGBTQ PRIDE AND ACCEPTANCE – According to the FBI and the Department of Justice, there were approximately 1300 hate crimes targeting people due to identity, orientation and gender in 2017. Also, research from the US department of Health and Human Services found that LGBTQ youth are at a heightened risk for being the target of bullying and are at increased risk for suicide attempts. Let’s accept people for who they are and who they love. Be the change of tomorrow. So today we wear purple for Respect For All Week Acceptance and Equality
- Thank you everyone who participated in the BEARGRAMS setup and delivery yesterday. Hope everyone had a happy Valentine’s Day with your loved ones, friends and family.
- SENIORS - Take advantage of this break and study for the qualifying, don’t leave for the last minute.
- SOPHOMORES AND JUNIORS – Make sure you have made a College Board account because SOPHOMORES, you will be taking the PSATs and JUNIORS you are taking the SATs on March 27th. Look out for PREP CLASSES coming to the school and for more information about March 27th SAT/PSAT day!
- SKILLS USA APPLICATION: https://sites.google.com/view/skillsusaavhs
- Last day for BABY PICTURES is TODAY. Please bring in hard copies of your pictures to Ms. Tavarez periods 6 and 7 in room 145.
- TALENT SHOW AUDITIONS WILL BE HELD AFTER 10TH Every club and team is encouraged to participate in the talent show with any act. Join us on Friday, April 12, 2019 at 4:30 pm ($3.00 with S.O. card, $5.00 without) for AVIATION’S GOT TALENT! Contact Ahona Islam, Daniel Calderon, Jacob Alcantara or Mr. Henriquez after 10th period Wednesday through Friday in the Music Room.
- You can still order SENIOR APPAREL! Come to room 147 to place orders. The deadline is TODAY at 12:00 noon.
- If you are interested in trying out for the BOYS VOLLEYBALL TEAM, make sure you have your medical and parental consent forms completed by February 25th.
- IT’S NOT TOO LATE TO BE PART OF A CLUB! There’s a poster outside of the guidance office or you can go to room 147 for information about when and where the clubs meet as well as information about the advisors.
- All students should follow the INSTAGRAM PAGE @av_activites for more information on upcoming events and activities.
Career Day 2019!
Dear Friends of Aviation High School,
On Wednesday, March 13th we will be holding our annual Career Day! Career Day is a rewarding experience for our students. It gives them the opportunity to learn about career opportunities and strategies for success. For registration and more information, please click here to be taken to our Career Day Site.
Wednesday March 13, 2019
8:45 am—1:30 pm
Parent Engagement Dates
1st Annual Career Fair - May 16, 2019!
AOPA Flight Training Scholarship Info!
AOPA HIGH SCHOOL FLIGHT TRAINING SCHOLARSHIP
From the AOPA website:
Thanks to the generosity of the Ray Foundation, 80 exceptional high school students, ages 15 to 18, each will receive a $10,000 scholarship in 2019. This scholarship program is a component of the AOPA You Can Fly program, a collection of initiatives working towards building a larger, more vibrant pilot community.
These scholarship awards are a major benefit of AOPA membership, helping members reach their goals and advance into the aviation and aerospace careers they have always dreamed about.
Scholarship recipients will be able to use the money for direct flight training expenses to pursue a primary pilot certificate. They must also complete a flight training milestone, achieving either solo or earning a primary pilot certificate, within one year of receiving a scholarship.
Applications close at 11:59 p.m., EDT on April 2, 2019. Apply here.
Didn't Make it? Take a tour: Register below
A big Thank You to all the families that attended our open house!
We only have one open house. However, if you missed it you can still see our school.
Use the link below to reserve your spot, for one of our guided tours!
Please review the minimum requirements to be considered for our screened school here Admissions process 2018.pdf
2018 Silver Ranking by US News & World Report
CNN's "Great Big Story" on Aviation HS!
CNBC October 2018 Video on Aviation HS
The Benefits of Trade Schools
Free Aviation Week Student Accounts!
Students! Use your Google Classroom email account to gain free access to Aviation Week and Space Technology! Click here!
Saturday SchoolAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
School Leadership Team MeetingAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Parents’ Association MeetingAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
Saturday SchoolAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
4th Marking Period EndsAviation High School - Long Island City, New York
NYPD's Aviation High School Toolbox Award
NY1 Story: Annex Students Visit LaGuardia Airport
Students from our 5th Year Annex program visit LaGuardia Airport on Thursday, March 9, 2017! Watch the NY1 report on the visit!
Guidance | See your School Counselor Below:
Office Suite 135
Phone >> 718-361-2032 Ext. 1351
9th Grade: Ms. Diaz
10th Grade: Ms. Donohue
11th Grade: Ms. Gutierrez
12th Grade: Ms. Ojong
SWD all Grades: Ms. Alba
CNBC Story Features Aviation Graduates
Freshmen are scheduled for one of two sessions for the remainder of the year:
- Periods 1-9 (8:00 am - 3:27 pm)
- Periods 2–10 (8:59 am - 4:15 pm)
- Plus 45 minutes once a week for science lab
Our School Community!
Aviation HS Students Compete at National Event! (2018)
Employment Opportunities for Students/Graduates
We have employment opportunities with Pratt & Whitney
The Starting hourly rate is $ 31.70
Please submit your resumes to Mr. Cotumaccio in Room 113
*Power Plant Certification a must*
Aviation HS Sports Calendar
FAA Aircraft Handbooks and Manuals
use the link below to access useful Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) aircraft handbooks and manuals for your aviation maintenance courses.
NPR Profiles Aviation High School's JFK Annex!
Deep Inside New York's JFK Airport, There's A High School
"New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport is among the busiest in the country: More than 1,000 flights touch down and take off each day. More than 50 million passengers hurry through its gates each year.
But something else is happening too.
Not far from the waxed floors of the terminals and the automated voice proclaiming the end of the moving walkway, there's a school. And a classroom that has six wheels, two wings, and a tail. It is a Boeing 727, parked on the tarmac near the hangars and warehouses..."
Read the rest of the article here!
Donate to Quantum Samurai
Aviation High School Attracts Global Interest!
American Airlines Celebrates Aviation High School Grad!
Career Opportunities With Panasonic
Panasonic is looking for Airframe or Airframe and Powerplant technicians in the following locations:
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SFO)
* Relocation is necessary* for more information please contact Mr. Eric Engel. Email: Eric.email@example.com
Alumni in the News!
Alumnus, Jessica Duke, talks about her work experience at Pratt & Whitney. Click here (or the image) to read the interview!
"No student shall, on the basis of gender, race, color, national origin, disability, or age be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits, or otherwise be subject to unlawful discrimination under any Career and Technical Education program or activity."
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Name: Dr. Michael Koumoullos, Assistant Principal of Pupil Personnel Services
Address: 45-30 36th Street, Long Island City, NY 11101
Telephone Number: (718) 361-2032, extension 1351
Read the Department of Education's Non-Discrimination Policy Here.
Statement on Accessibility: We are working to make this website easier to access for people with disabilities, and will follow the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0. If you need assistance with a particular page or document on our current site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request assistance.